Seven Success Secrets I Learned Working with Robert G. Allen
By Denise Michaels, Author, “Testosterone-Free Marketing”
During the seven plus years I worked with mega-bestselling author Robert Allen I never learned how to become a one minute millionaire. But I did discover some lessons that serve me well in life and business. Here are seven success secrets I carry with me today from that experience.
• HOPE: Once in his home office Robert turned to me and asked, “What do you think people want more of – the motivational stuff or how-tos?”
I replied, “How-tos, of course.” .
Allen added, “People will pay a lot of money for hope.” He was spot on. As I worked with protégés over the years in teleclasses and at seminars this lesson was reinforced over and over again simply based on what I observed. Help people see themselves as successful and a winner in the making. Even if they’ve failed in the past they’ll want to buy from you or know more about what you offer. Give them hope and encouragement.
• PASSION: I was bugging Robert to call a guy back who wanted him to become an investor in a business deal. He was avoiding calling the guy. Finally he called. “I’m not going to get in on your deal and here’s why,” he said. My ears perked up. Allen said, “I looked over your proposal and what you have is a winner – but that’s not the point. Sooner or later I’d get pulled into it and I only get involved with businesses I’m passionate about.”
Never again did I feel bad wanting to make money as a writer and as an author. I stopped feeling guilty about not signing up for MLM deals. If I have no passion for it as a business idea, I don’t do it.
• FOCUS: I used to pride myself on my ability to multi-task. I could juggle ten things at once. I noticed Allen did only one thing at a time. When working together he was 100 percent focused. If he had to call someone he was totally focused on that person. He never seemed stressed like me. I thought it must be nice to be a millionaire, then I’d have the luxury to think one thought at a time, too. I wasn’t envious of the fancy house or lifestyle – I was envious of having time to vision, think and create.
Then it dawned on me: maybe what helped him reach that level was focus. I decided to try it. At first I was afraid everything would fall through the cracks – but it never happened. Everything that mattered got done. I took time to vision and think. That time eventually resulted in my business-bestselling book, “Testosterone-Free Marketing.”
• HIGHEST AND BEST: Once I came in the office and Allen was trying to put together a metal mesh trash can. Finally he looked at me and said, “Now THIS is the highest and best use of my time.” We both laughed.
I started asking myself, “What’s the highest and best use of my time today?” I began accomplishing more of the things that mattered. Checking emails is NOT the highest and best use of your time. Figure out what is – and you’ll accomplish more every day.
• ULTIMATE BENEFIT: I learned this from one of the teleclasses he taught before everything was delegated to other trainers, including me. New business owners often try to figure out what to say to bring in new customers. Allen said figure out your ultimate benefit and start there.
To determine your ultimate benefit: If I used your product or service 30 days, did everything and got a great result what would I have? That’s the ultimate benefit.
• THE 10 PERCENT: Allen read a less than glowing review of his latest book and sighed, “I get a lot of that.” I read the book and enjoyed it. He said, “You can have a business where 90 percent of people hate you and still be a millionaire with the other 10 percent.”
Those words gave me courage when my own book came out and was embraced by many but booed by a few. Knowing I can be “out there” and be my slightly crazy self gave me permission to be my authentic self. Knowing I don’t have to have everyone love me still helps today.
• BE OPEN: Allen was inquisitive and open to learn. He constantly asked questions and listened intently. It was almost as if he was doing market research. People often felt honored a millionaire author would really listen.
Ask questions and listen to what people tell you. It makes them feel good and it might help you get your next big, successful idea.
Denise Michaels is a marketing mentor, trainer and author of the business bestseller, “Testosterone-Free Marketing.” Find out more about her at her websites below: